If you are using a digital camera, you may want to look into the XShot XSP2 Pocket Camera Extender. Here are its specs:
- Closes to 6.5"
- Opens to 30.5"
- Weighs only 4.6 oz
- Custom camera adapter for quick attachment and release
- Maximum Camera Capacity 1.25 lbs
- Works well with GoPro cameras using adapter (not included)
The only downside to this model is that it is relatively short even when it is extended to its full length. That means that you might not be able to get as much of the background in the shot as you would like, or to fit as many people in the shot as you would like.
If you feel like you need more length, you may want to look into the XShot 2.0 Selfie Stick instead. This comes recommended by a fellow backpacker  and offers a far longer reach than the XShot XSP2. The only downside is that it weighs several ounces more. Here are its specs:
- Closes to 9"
- Extends to 37"
- Weighs 7.8 ounces
- Custom camera adapter for quick attachment and removal
- Supports Cameras up to 1.25lbs in weight
- Works with GoPro Cameras (adapter not included)
- Excellent for photos to capture full background or up to 10 people in a shot
Finally, if you are looking for a selfie stick for your phone rather than a digital camera, you may want to look into the BirdsEye Selfie Stick. It connects to your phone via Bluetooth so you can snap pictures from a button on the handle. Here are some of its specs:
- Extends from 9 inches to 42 inches.
- Works with most Apple and Android phones
- Also works with GoPro cameras
- Built-in Bluetooth capabilities
- Shipping weight is 8.8 ounces
Hope that helps, and have fun on your trip!