• Register

Does medical insurance for PA state employees cover transgender medical care for employees or their family members?

0 votes
asked Sep 16, 2015 in Insurance by anonymous
Share This Q&A

1 Answer

0 votes

2013 Rally for Transgender Equality - Photo by Ted Eytan


According to the most recent information I could find, there is currently no transgender medical care coverage for state employees or their families in Pennsylvania. However, a bill known as the Transgender Health Benefits Act HB304 was introduced to the Pennsylvania General Assembly by Representative Mark Cohen (D-Philadelphia)in February, 2015. [1] This bill addresses transgender civil rights in the state of Pennsylvania in regard to healthcare.


The bill itself is based on a piece of legislation that was passed in Philadelphia that made transition-related healthcare available to government workers. Currently, Philadelphia is the only city in Pennsylvania to offer transgender health benefits to city employees. The state bill, however, goes further, addressing transgender rights in regard to public and private insurance, as well as Medicaid plans.


If passed, the bill would require coverage for transition-related care in all public, private and Medicaid plans. This would include hormone therapy, mental health care and surgery. [1]


The bill was referred to the Pennsylvania House Committee on Health on February 2, 2015 and appears to still be in committee. If you are interested, you can subscribe to updates on the bill at the link below:






1. http://www.pghlesbian.com/2015/02/first-ever-trans-specific-civil-rights-bills-introduced-in-pa-general-assembly/

answered Oct 3, 2015 by blueskies (57,070 points)

Copyright © 2015 AnswerThis.co    

Legal: Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Cookies Policy | Anti SPAM Policy | Copyright Notice