• Register

Will community colleges accept credits from a four-year university towards an associate's degree?

0 votes
I have a Bachelor's degree in biology from a four-year college, but I want to become an RN. Would courses that overlap, like biology, microbiology, and electives transfer?
asked Sep 23, 2015 in Self Improvement by dunkelweizen (7,040 points)
Share This Q&A

1 Answer

0 votes

You are referring to what is commonly called a "reverse transfer." It depends on your state and on  the institutions. Some community colleges will accept only a limited amount of credits from a 4-year college, even though the individual has completed many more. Sometimes, only credits from certain classes are eligible to be transferred. [1]

Also, sometimes the reverse transfer can only happen when the 2-year and 4-year institution have an established agreement in this partnership.[2]

A lot of community colleges welcome reverse transfer students because they boost the institution's graduation rate. The reverse transfer students can also become role models for the new community college students because they have more experience in a college classroom. [3]

So, a reverse transfer can be your first step in a new direction of a new career. You should speak to the admissions office or a counselor at the community college and get EVERYTHING in writing so there would not be any misinterpretation over what courses are transferable.

Good luck!

[1] http://www.usnews.com/education/community-colleges/articles/2015/02/18/finish-a-2-year-degree-at-a-4-year-college-with-a-reverse-transfer

[2] http://chronicle.com/article/Reverse-Transfer-Programs/127942/

[3] http://www.communitycollegereview.com/blog/the-reverse-transfer-process

answered Sep 23, 2015 by turker88 (23,620 points)

Copyright © 2015 AnswerThis.co    

Legal: Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Cookies Policy | Anti SPAM Policy | Copyright Notice