To French braid you can follow these steps:
- Brush your hair thoroughly.
- Gather a section of hair at the top of your head and divide it into three sections.
- Begin to cross the sections as in a normal braid. Cross the right over the middle and then the left. Pull tight as you begin the process.
- Add a small section of hair to each of your original sections.
- Cross each section as you did in step 2.
- Continue the process of adding small sections to the original sections and braiding and adding.
Like anything else, French braiding your own hair is something that takes some practice. It can be helpful to learn the basics of French braiding first. That is how I learned to do my own hair. I actually practiced on my mom's hair and she practiced on mine. Once we learned how to hold the strands and grab an additional strand on someone else's hair, we were able to start practicing it on our own. Don't worry if you don't have someone to practice on, though, with enough practice, you will be a pro at French braiding your own hair in no time!
This image may help.