• Register

How can you tell if mushrooms are bad?

0 votes
39 views
asked Jan 1, 2016 in Food and Drink by Natalie
Share This Q&A

1 Answer

0 votes

 

Mushrooms are bad if they are slimy and mushy. You should not eat them at that point due to the possibility that they are harboring mold. [1]

 

The first sign that mushrooms are going bad is the development of a slimy film. If you notice this film right away, you can safely cook the mushrooms and eat them within a day. Once the film develops, the mushrooms soon turn dark and mushy, and they are not safe to eat. [2]

 

To extend the shelf life of mushrooms, store them unsliced in the refrigerator in their original packaging. [2] They keep for six to eight months if cooked and placed in the freezer in appropriate containers. [1]

 

Sources:

1. http://www.eatbydate.com/vegetables/fresh-vegetables/mushrooms/

2. http://simmerandboil.cookinglight.com/2015/05/15/how-to-tell-when-mushrooms-are-bad/

answered Jan 1, 2016 by jems (19,790 points)

Copyright © 2015 AnswerThis.co    

Legal: Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Cookies Policy | Anti SPAM Policy | Copyright Notice

 

...