In the world of skin care, being “sensitive” means that your skin can be easily damaged, and has a definite set of characteristics that require special care.
Sensitive skin is easily “bothered” by things. Sun exposure, wind, heat and cold, chemicals in products, and other similar factors can all cause this skin type to react. The type of reaction may vary from redness to inflammation to rashes or more, but the key point is that the skin is often irritated or reacting to something.
Here's what you can do:
- Avoid harsh beauty products such as alcohol-based toners, coarse facial scrubs, or anything containing known irritants.
- When wearing make-up, choose a mineral variety with as few ingredients as possible, and which is free of preservatives and fragrance.
- Minimise sun exposure, cover up and wear a non-chemical sunscreen to protect and further minimise sun damage.
- Avoid anything that makes you hot or flushed, such as hot showers, hot drinks or spicy foods.
- Try to identify personal "triggers" that irritate your skin and avoid them.